Police have taken the human resources director of the satirical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo from her home after receiving death threats last week, a French magazine reported.
Marika Brett, who has been under police protection for nearly five years after the attack on the headquarters of the Charlie Hebdo newspaper in January 2015, said the threats were “sufficient to take her seriously,” adding that she would not return home.
“I had 10 minutes to collect my things and leave my house. Ten minutes to leave part of my life behind me, this is a little short period, this is very brutal,” Brett explained to the weekly “Le Point”.
These threats coincide with the trial of 14 accused of their role in the violent attacks that sowed fear and anger in France and abroad, and in January 2015 targeted the “Charlie Hebdo” newspaper, policemen, and customers of a Jewish food store, killing 17 people.
Twelve people, including some of France’s most famous cartoonists, were killed on January 7, 2015, when the Said and Sherif Kouachi brothers launched an armed attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris.
Brett told the magazine that there was “an enormous amount of hatred surrounding Charlie Hebdo”, saying that the forced departure from her home “translates into the unprecedented level of tension that we have to deal with.”
She noted that since the start of the trial, which prompted Charlie Hebdo to re-publish the controversial cartoons, “we have received all kinds of horrific messages, especially al-Qaeda threats and calls to end the mission that the Kouachi brothers began.”
Al Qaeda earlier this month threatened the Charlie Hebdo newspaper with a repeat of the assault on its employees